Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Southern Slaw Dog... with Chili

It's the perfect weekend to grill out. Throw some hot dogs and hamburgers on and have a party! Take a dip in the pool and enjoy a slice of cool watermelon (that has been floating around and chilling in the pool), while the kids see how far they can spit the seeds!

A Good Ole Southern Slaw Dawg!

I started watching Mama make this slaw when I was little and graduated to helping. She never measured. It was always a splash of this or a sprinkle of that. So, I hope this describes enough for you to follow. It just takes practice to get the taste right… And the picture is how I like to eat it! Yum! 


Mama's Slaw


1 Head Cabbage, grated
2 Carrots, grated
Mayonnaise
Lemon
Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste


Grate the cabbage, then grate the carrots. I usually look at the color to know how many carrots to use. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. (Probably about a teaspoon or so) Sprinkle with lemon juice. I usually put two fingers over the mouth of the bottle and sprinkle about three or four shakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add enough mayo to bind it together. It will get soupier as it sits. Taste and adjust your seasonings.




3 comments:

  1. Slaw - up my way in Central VA - I'm an APPOMATTOX girl...we do some sweet pickle juice or vinegar/sugar in our slaw...everything else is about the same...glad to see that slaw on a hot dog is "all the way" for someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In West Virginia, southern part anyway, hot dogs start with chili and the slaw is the topper. first time I wnet up north (PA) and they handed me a hot dog (wiener on a bun) I thought they forgot something. I have since educated them. Will pass along this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. NC here...I like my hot dog (red, of course) with mustard, chili, onions, and slaw...here, that's all the way....my slaw is cabbage, mayo (DUKE'S only), chopped pickle, vinegar, and sugar...of course, s&p...now that is good eatin' in the South (my son hates it when I just say "slaw," and not "coleslaw." But that's what it is where I come from.....:)

    ReplyDelete