Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, May 18, 2012

Chicken Cordon... sorta Bleu!


I had boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the frig that needed to be cooked. The hubby came home and asked what's for supper. I mentioned the chicken, but I wasn't sure what to do with it yet. He remarks, "I take it the chicken hasn't told you what it wants to be yet???" Exactly!!! You ever get that... No, I'm not nuts! Food doesn't really talk to me, but have you ever sat and waited for that inspiration to hit??? I was doing that. Well, that wasn't getting supper on the table. I started to rummage through the frig and could get close to several different concoctions, but was always short one or two items. I gave up and decided Chicken Cordon Bleu... the traditional way, not the easy casserole! However, I was still short the Swiss cheese! "Oh forget it! Just use mozzarella!" , I thought. Why not?!?! Don't give up on a recipe just because you can't follow it "to a t"! Try something else! So here's what I wound up with... some substitutions and an addition! Yep, I have to twist things up as usual!


I started with 4 chicken breast halves.
I pounded them out... that's when Elliott came in and had to help
his Mama pound out the chicken!
(After which, he promptly left the room,
before I could ask him to do anything else!)

I fried some bacon and added it to my version of this dish...
Everything is better with bacon!

I added mozzarella cheese and smoked deli ham. 


Close up view... I then rolled and folded
them securing each with several toothpicks.

I rolled them in bread crumbs and put them in a
casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
In the oven, at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until
done and golden brown.

 Just out of the oven and golden brown.
If they don't have the color you want after they are done,
fry them in a sauce pan in a little oil until they are golden brown.
Let them rest just a bit, so the cheese doesn't all run out when you cut them!

Remove the toothpicks and serve!

If you want a sauce for this, here's a perfect Mornay Sauce to go with it...

1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper

In small saucepan, melt butter and add the flour. Whisk until incorporated, add milk, stirring with a whisk to avoid lumps. Stir in cheese, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly until it's thick. Spoon over baked Chicken Cordon Bleu just before serving.

* For a kick, add a teaspoon of Dijon Mustard to the sauce!



No comments:

Post a Comment