Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mama's Slaw


OK, this is as close as I can get to a recipe for Mama’s Slaw. I started watching Mama make this slaw when I was little and graduated to helping. She never measured. It was always a splash of this or a sprinkle of that. So, I hope this describes enough for you to follow. It just takes practice to get the taste right… 

Mama's Slaw


1 Head Cabbage, grated
2 Carrots, grated
Mayonnaise, 1/2 cup or more to bind
Lemon Juice, 1 teaspoon or so
Sugar, 1 teaspoon or so
Salt & Pepper to taste

Grate the cabbage, then grate the carrots. I usually look at the color to know how many carrots to use. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. (Probably about a teaspoon or so) Sprinkle with lemon juice. I usually put two fingers over the mouth of the bottle and sprinkle about three or four shakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add enough mayo to bind it together. It will get soupier as it sits. Taste and adjust your seasonings.


No comments:

Post a Comment