Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 7, 2013

Great-Aunt Vashti's Browned Squash

Last night, I attempted once again to re-create an old family recipe... My Great-Aunt Vashti's Browned Squash! To get the intense browning that she did, I have to cook it low and slow on the stove-top. If the temp is not just right, it will burn and you'll end up with a bitter flavor. I discovered that I don't have the patience to cook this dish often! It took me 2 hours to even get close!


Aunt Vashti used:
Yellow Squash... about 4 or 5 
3 T butter
1 onion, minced 
Basil
3 cloves minced garlic
Salt and black pepper, to taste.

Cook in a sauce pan on medium low, stirring occasionally. I covered it for the first 30-45 minutes for it to cook down. Then let it simmer and turn golden brown. (about an hour to an hour and a half) Aunt Vashti's squash was always a deep bark brown,  and caramelized to perfection! YUM!


 Mine is not a brown as hers was, but like I said, I'm not as patient! :-)





1 comment:

  1. Lynn, please be patient!! It makes a world of difference. To do this my grandmother's way, I would start with twice as much squash as I thought I would need and I stir and brown over and over until the squash was a deep golden brown. The flavor is much more concentrated. My favorite meal during tomato season is this squash served with buttery new potatoes, green beans and a diced tomato. I promise it is a religious experience. Meat? Who needs it!

    ReplyDelete