Leftover steaks and/or pot roast, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon oil
1 pkg fresh button mushrooms, sliced
2 onions, sliced into rings
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
1 (8 ounce) package sliced provolone cheese
salt, pepper and dried oregano
Lettuce and tomato
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute mushrooms, onion, and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and soy sauce. Saute until vegetables are tender. Cut the steak into strips and then process it for a few seconds. Add to the vegetables to heat through.
3. Dig out some of the bread from the center of the bottom slice of bread, creating a boat-like shape to hold the meat and vegetables. Spread each bun generously with garlic mayonnaise*. Divide beef mixture into the buns. Top with cheese, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. Place sandwiches on a baking pan.
4. Heat sandwiches in preheated oven, until cheese is melted or slightly browned.
5. Add lettuce and tomato. Serve while still warm!
Sometimes I drizzle a little Italian Dressing over the lettuce and tomato. (This is the sub shop's secret trick to give their subs a little extra kick.)
1 cup Mayo
2 cloves Garlic, ground into a paste with a little salt and the edge of a chef knife
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Combine in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate til ready to use.