Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, February 18, 2013

15 Bean Soup with Ham



I cooked a ham, potato salad, green beans and cornbread for Sunday dinner yesterday. Today I was cutting up the remaining ham and noticed that the bone had a LOT of meat left on it. I decided to do a soup of some kind. I had a bag of 15 bean dried beans... Perfect!

1lb bag of 15 bean mix
Ham Bone
Ham pieces
8 to 10 cups water
Juice and drippings from the baked ham
(or bouillon)
large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Weber Steak & Chop Seasoning, optional
1/4 teaspoon Basil
Finish off with Kosher Salt, to taste

Rinse and drain the beans. Follow whatever prep you want for the beans. I use the quick soak method.

 Quick soak method... Boil beans for two minutes.
Remove from heat and leave covered for 1 hour.

Ham bone and chunks

Drain the beans and return to pot. Add all the ingredients except salt. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 2 hours or until the beans are done to your liking. I cook mine longer because I like my beans very tender! Pull out the big chunks of ham and shred or pull apart with a fork. Add back to beans. Taste the broth and adjust the seasoning. I added garlic powder and finished with the Kosher Salt.




Vinaroz 4-Pc. Stainless Steel Steamer Pot Set (Google Affiliate Ad)

4 comments:

  1. Hi I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your recipes ordered. Each recipe has a link to the blog that belongs recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be stay here

    I invite you to enter add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.. Awesome recipe..it's almost like what my grandma made. :)

    Lista

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my very favorites this looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete