Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Black Walnut Pound Cake

This is another one of Mama's recipes that she made notes on and saved them for me. This one is Grandmama Bradham's Black Walnut Pound Cake.

1 pound 10X Sugar
¾ pound Butter
6 large Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1 T Black Walnut Extract
1 cup Black Walnuts
3 cups Flour
2 T Flour

Cream butter and sugar until light. Add and beat in one egg at a time. Add flour one third at a time. Add vanilla and walnut extract. Fold in the walnuts. Bake in a tube pan. Pan should be greased or lined with brown paper in the bottom. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes at 325. Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool and spread with Cream Cheese Icing.

Note: Grandmama Bradham made this and served it with Cream Cheese Icing…

Cream Cheese Icing:
Whip 1 package Cream Cheese with 1 t Vanilla and about ½ box of 10X Sugar until smooth.

5 comments:

  1. My wedding cake my Nanny made and it was black walnut just like my moms wedding cake 22 years before. yes, Nanny made that one too. HA It's one of my very favorite cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black walnut cake. I really love pound cake of any kind. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of flour..self rising or plain ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basically when there is no salt or baking powder listed, it's self-rising flour. Sorry. I should have specified!

    ReplyDelete