Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, January 23, 2023

Asian Dumplings

 


I bought myself a dumpling press at Christmas this year, so yesterday I decided to try it out. It worked great! I did use eggroll wrappers that I had on hand, but I plan on making the dumpling dough in the future.

1 package Eggroll Wrappers or Wonton Wrappers

FILLING:
1/2 cup cabbage
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 lb ground pork sausage
1/4 cup mushrooms, diced
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined

Chop shrimp into small pieces and combine with sausage. Mix cabbage, onion, mushrooms, soy sauce and garlic. Combine sausage and shrimp with cabbage mixture and mix until well incorporated. 

I had cooked sausage and shrimp filling for eggrolls 
earlier in the week and froze half 
of the mixture to use in the dumplings. 
That reduced the cook time for this batch. 

To assemble the dumplings, add roughly 1 teaspoon of filling to the center of a dumpling wrapper. With your finger, lightly coat the outside of the wrapper with water. Fold the wrapper over the filling and, using your fingers, pleat the edges to seal. (I used my press. It's much easier.) Repeat with the remaining fillings and wrappers.

Half of an eggroll wrapper worked in my press.
I just trimmed the edges after pressing them. 

The wrappers I had left over was enough to make
16 dumplings with leftover filling.
This recipe makes enough for 24 dumplings at least. 


Heat the oil over medium high in a large skillet and add a few dumplings, cooking them in batches. Once the bottoms of the dumplings start to brown, add a splash of water and cover with a lid. Steam for about 5 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked and the water has evaporated. Transfer the cooked dumplings to a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess moisture or grease.

My stepdaughter Kayleigh made this tray
for me for Christmas! It's perfect!

DIPPING SAUCE:
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake, optional

In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper flakes and stir to combine. Serve the dumplings immediately with the dipping sauce.






2 comments: