Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mama's Homemade Mayonnaise

I found this note to me in Mama's recipes. Mama always had the opinion that you do what you need to do and take shortcuts when you need to... That doesn't mean that you tell everyone your shortcuts!

When my Grandmama Elliott turned 80 years old, Mama hosted a surprise party for her. She had me and my cousin, DP run to town and pick up two shefflera trees for the the dinning room where she had the food set up. "Miss Ruth" came over to Mama during the party and commented on the beautiful trees. Mama looked at her and said, "Actually, I owe those beautiful trees to the hard work and care of Lynn and DP!" Miss Ruth was flabbergasted, "You're kidding!" I looked at Mama with a puzzled look I guess because she leaned over and whispered, "Just say... I just did what I needed to do! Because that's the truth!" She backed up and smiled and winked at me before she returned to the party.

Judy’s Homemade Mayonnaise
"Duke's Mayonnaise at Piggly Wiggly!"

"Not worth the trouble to make, in my opinion."
"But if you have to try it.......this one's not bad...."

Pour 1/4 cup oil into blender. Add 1 tsp vinegar, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 egg, dash salt, and 1/4 tsp dry mustard. Cover and blend. While blender is running, remove cover and add another 3/4 cup oil in slow steady stream. Remove to jar and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment