Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Salt Cured Egg Yolks

I am participating in a year long Food In Jars Mastery Challenge hosted by Marisa from Food in Jars, and the February challenge was Salt Preserving! There were a host of ways to use salt. I have several ways that I used it, including this method of salt curing egg yolks! Salt curing egg yolks, solidifies and preserved the yolk. There is no definite "shelf" life, but in the recipe/instructions I followed, the author commented that he had some he had stored up to a year. The yolks were still good.

There really isn't a need for a recipe. You just need a container, eggs, salt and cheesecloth. I followed the instructions provided by Hank Shaw of Hunter~Angler~ Gardener~Cook. It is a very simple process. The hardest part is waiting which takes patience, something I am short on sometimes! 

Separate the yolks from the whites.
(Save the whites for another recipe.)
Pour a bed of salt, and nestle the yolk in the salt.

Cover completely with salt, cover loosely
and refrigerate for a week.
I put a lid on the bowl and only sealed one side.

After a week in salt, the yolk is firm,
but still a little sticky.
I brushed the salt off of the yolk, wrapped it in cheesecloth
and hung it from a shelf in the refrigerator.


The second egg is much darker than the first!
I rinsed this one, wrapped it in cheesecloth
and hung it from a shelf in the refrigerator.

I didn't rinse the first cured yolk
before completing the drying process,
so you see some salt in the yolk.

Rich Grated Cured Egg Yolk
I sprinkled some on some buttered toast.
Some suggest sprinkling over pasta like cheese.
Delicious!



1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! Something for me to play around with this summer when my chickens make more eggs than I can use and sell!

    ReplyDelete