Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sweet and Sour Chicken with Red Sauce or Mama's Chicken Hawaiian Style

I got this recipe from my Mama's recipe file and modified it a little. When I made it, I realized it tastes just like the Chinese Restaurant's Red Sauce! I had been trying to duplicate that sauce for years because that's the main reason the hubby eats Chinese Food! LOL Stumbling on to this recipe was a real find! Mama called this Hawaiian Sauce!

 My version of Chinese Take-out!

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is Mama's recipe...

Chicken Hawaiian Style


1 ½ lbs Chicken Breasts, cut into strips or cubes

1 cup Pineapple Chunks
1 cup Pineapple Juice
½ cup Vinegar
6 oz Tomato Paste
¾ cup Sugar
1 cup Water
1 t Salt
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1 medium onion
2 T Cornstarch

Brown chicken strips in butter.* Drain pineapple, reserve syrup. Combine syrup with enough water to make 1 cup. Mix with tomato paste and water, vinegar and sugar in saucepan. Mix cornstarch with 1/2 cup water and add to pot. Heat until thickened and clear. Add pineapple chunks and bell pepper. Pour over chicken and simmer.

Mama's Note: “I used to make this for company a lot…It’s a change from the same old chicken…”


My modification...

*I used her tempura batter recipe and fried the chicken strips or cubes. I then prepared the sauce minus the green pepper. I didn't have any and my family doesn't like them anyway. I used the sauce as a dip instead of simmering the chicken in it like Mama's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment