Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Aunt Vashti's Browned Squash in the Crock Pot!

I had a sweet lady at church bring me a bag of yellow squash. It was enough that I shared some with my brother. He loves Aunt Vashti's squash, but says that his crowd will only eat it if it's breaded and fried. I had enough for him to do both, thank goodness! Aunt Vashti's recipe is below, and then my crock pot version below that...


Aunt Vashti used:
Yellow Squash... about 4 or 5 
3 T butter
1 onion, minced 
Basil
3 cloves minced garlic
Salt and black pepper, to taste.

Cook in a sauce pan on medium low, stirring occasionally. I covered it for the first 30-45 minutes for it to cook down. Then let it simmer and turn golden brown. (about an hour to an hour and a half) Aunt Vashti's squash was always a deep bark brown,  and caramelized to perfection! YUM!


This time, I put all of the ingredients in my crock pot, and I added mushrooms. I cut it on high and got it up to temperature. Then I cut it back to low and let it simmer all night... Voila!


It was very good, but I still like it pan fried like Aunt Vashti made it!




No comments:

Post a Comment