Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Foodies On a Farm Day Excursion and my Tuscan Soup!


Yesterday my foodie friend, Mary from All Things Food ~ Cooking with Mary and Friends and I went with four of her friends to two local farms, Old McCaskills Farm and Sunny Cedars Farm! What a fun time! We had lunch at Old McCaskills Farm... Marinated Grilled Pork Chops, Rosemary Rice, Green Beans, Rolls and Coconut Cream Pie! Awesome! We wandered around looking at all the animals. When we first got there, one of their calves had gotten out and was wandering about. I walked over and she came straight up to me and let me pet her :-)

Oops! Who let the calf out? :-)

Kathy McCaskill led her back into the pasture.

This little fellow needed his hoof cleaned out.

I have a feeling I'm being watched!

A bunny!

I'm thinking the canning room. :-)

The Store on the right and Kitchen on the left...

 Come on in... I didn't get pictures of the food.
Sorry, but I was hungry! I forgot! ;-)

Kathy McCaskill waiting on us in the store. 

I love the glass sign!

Cathy found some friends... baby lambs!!! 

 I love the feeder!

The Garden Shed...

 The back of the Garden Shed

My buddy :-)

 Itty Bitty Goat!

Cathy's new buddy! 

I purchased a Sheep Tape Measure and
Eco-Friendly Wool Dryer Balls! Awesome lunch also!
If you'd like to have lunch or just visit the farm,

Cathy and I get in the last few pictures,
while the rest of the girls discuss our next stop...
Sunny Cedars Farm!

We have arrived at Sunny Cedars Farm!
Mary, Russel and me!

He let the pigs out into
the pasture when we got there.
I could not get the videos to load,
so if you want to see them, please visit me on
Facebook at Southern With A Twist. They really are
a must see... "The Running of the Pigs!"
If I can find out why the blog is not loading,
I'll add them here as soon as possible!

  Big Girl! :-)

BP, the pig and her babies!

Piglets!


BP getting a drink of water! Awesome waterer Russell! 


Gathering eggs...

 Mary found a big one! 

Ten eggs in one roost...

Russell grinds his own feed here. 

Time for some shoppin' ladies! :-)

My Goodie Bag!
Sweet Italian Sausage, Bratwurst, Garlic Bratwurst,
Mild Pork Sausage and Country Style Ribs!
I held out the Italian Sausage from the freezer for this Tuscan Soup! Let me tell you that I noticed a difference immediately. The sausage didn't stick to the pan like the sausage I cooked for the Paella the other night! The hubby hollered, "What are you cooking? That smells amazing!" I told him and he said that it didn't smell like the Italian Sausage that I usually cook! He said, "If you need somebody to sample that... bring me a piece!" (He's in the recliner because his back it out.) The verdict? Sooooo good! It does make a difference the way a product is raised, fed, treated and processed! If you don't believe me, go see Russell at Sunny Cedars Farm and try some for yourself!!!

Tuscan Soup

6 cups chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
4 links of Italian sausage
3 large potatoes, cubed
1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
1/4 cup evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste

Remove skin from sausage and crumble into a 2qt sauce pan. Add chopped onion, and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic and continue to brown the sausage a little. Add stock and potatoes. Boil until potato is cooked. Add spinach. Continue boiling until spinach is lightly cooked. Remove soup from heat, stir in evaporated milk, and season to taste.


What an awesome outing!!! I urge all you to seek out your local farms and try to do what we did. Ask to come out and take a look at the working farms and fresh local products. It is well worth it in the experience and the quality products you'll find. From the farm to the table... know where your food comes from and how it gets there! Thanks so much to Kathy McCaskill and Russell Singleton for letting us come out and visit! I'm already looking forward to another visit!






2 comments:

  1. What a fun day you had. Being out on the farm is good for the soul. Your pictures are wonderful and thanks for the recipe. It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this freeze well? And can this be made in larger bathes in crock pot?

    ReplyDelete