Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Southern Green Beans and Potatoes

I cook a lot of green beans for my Wednesday night supper crowd at church. After a while I get really tired of the same old, same old. I'm on a VERY tight budget, so I can't get too fancy. But with just a few extras, you can jazz up some boring old sides. I was cooking hams, so I borrowed some of the fat and a little meat and used it for seasoning... browning it in a saucepan. This feeds 50 people and makes 2 buffet pans of beans. Adjust if you are making for lesser amounts. 


I sliced up some onions and added minced garlic. I added a stick of butter a little at the time. You need to remember (before you gasp at the butter) that this is enough for 50 people. I also added salt and lots of pepper.


I used small potatoes, peeled cut into small, bite sized pieces and cooked. I added them to the green beans in the buffet pan. Then I stirred in the seasonings and covered them with foil. I let the heat through.


After they cooked for a while, I added a little more butter and pepper. I covered it and let it simmer on top of the stove. From the remarks I received, they were VERY tasty! :-)


You need...

Meat and fat for seasoning... Ham, bacon or fat back

1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 stick of butter
2 #10 cans Green Beans
4 pounds Potatoes

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like something that would be good for our church sponsored lunch 2x/wk. How many pounds/cans of green beans?

    ReplyDelete