Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, January 27, 2012

Chicken -n- Dressin' Casserole... Super Easy!

Me and Granddaddy Bradham



The Holidays got me thinking about family and loved ones past. I wanted to include this partial story from my short-stories book... Crazy People... Philosophy 101

"Mama included several pages of the 'Philosophy of Perry H Bradham' in the book she was writing for me. In Mama’s eyes, Granddaddy Bradham, was all-knowing. Very seldom in life does a little girl look to her father as a hero, ‘the greatest man that ever lived’ and keep that image with her throughout her life, untarnished. Mama used to say that she worshipped her father. ‘The sun rose and set on him. My eyes were never big enough to see him.' She could not bare the thought of ever disappointing him. She would get in trouble as a child and Granddaddy would come in to punish her. He would start to talk to her, “Honey, I am very disappointed in you.” Mama said that she would sob, “Daddy please just spank me! Please!”

Granddaddy Bradham was a simple yet complex man. He made homemade wine. He cooked a pretty mean Bar-B-Q Pig! (A recipe which my Daddy combined with his own to come up with the bar-b-que he cooks today.) He used old fashioned know-how and common sense to be a successful businessman, a husband and a father who helped raised five children.

Here are some of the thoughts of Perry H. Bradham, as written by his daughter:

°A little prayer is like a spiritual glass of iced tea on a hell of a day.
°We do not solve other people’s problems; we give them confidence so they can solve their own.
°What a great world this would be if we would forget our troubles as easily as we forget our blessings.
°In a way, to be criticized is to be complimented; it shows that you were doing something too important for the critics to ignore.
°If a hypocrite is between you and God, he is closer to God than you are.
°Be careful how you live; you may be the only Bible some people will ever read.
°To act is easy; to think is hard.
°The people whose company I enjoy most are the ones who know that I don’t always enjoy company.
°Love is like an onion. We taste it with delight; but when it’s gone we wonder whatever made us bite.
°Love is like lightning. It would just as soon strike the outhouse as the church..."


With that said... I wanted to share a very simple, but tasty Chicken and Dressing Casserole recipe. It is Thanksgiving in a dish! When mixing you may think that the mixture is too wet, but it cooks perfectly! This is a dressing casserole that is so moist it doesn't even need gravy... but I love gravy, so I fix some on the side anyway!



Chicken -n- Dressin' Casserole

4 chicken breasts cooked and cubed
1 pan prepared cornbread, cooled and crumbled
4 eggs, boiled, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups chicken broth
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

Combine all ingredients and place in a 13x9 baking dish. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until heated through.

9 comments:

  1. When you say a "pan" of cornbread, what size pan? I'm eager to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bunny... I usually just use a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix when I'm doing something like this. That makes an 8x8 pan of cornbread. Let me know how it turns out for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ain't Southern...where's the sage??? I must say that adding that magical ingredient, I will be trying this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't read my blog before have you??? My family cannot have sage. I don't use sage. I don't even have any sage in my house. If I ever buy dressing mixes, I read the ingredients to make sure that it doesn't have sage in it. It causes stomach problems in my family. It always has. Feel free to at it if you want.
      Read my post linked here...
      http://lynn-southernwithatwist.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-tummy-trouble.html

      Delete
    2. my dad has to make my aunt's without sage, also, for the same reason.

      Delete
    3. I've made this a few times now. My family loves it! So easy and so delicious!

      Delete
  4. Sound great! Nothing I love better than chicken and dressin'. I, for one, don't really like the taste of sage- but I do use a bit of poultry seasoning, which does have some sage in it. However, I grew up with only s and p in it,because my dad didn't like the sage or poultry seasoning. Definitely will be making this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this tonight! Hope it turns out as good as yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've now made this several times and love it! It is my go-to dressing for Thanksgiving, as well. I use 2 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix and double the recipe for large gatherings such as Thanksgiving. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete