Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Creamed Tomatoes (AKA Tomato Gravy)

Being Southern, I was shocked that I never had the traditional Tomato Gravy. Mama never made it. We had plenty of tomatoes on the table all summer, but she never made gravy or creamed them. Maybe she didn't know about it, or maybe she didn't like it. I'll never know, but I had to try it! It isn't like spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce. It is more like creamed tomatoes. Most Southerners that make tomato gravy, make it a lot thinner than mine. I like to leave the tomatoes chunky. It has more texture and doesn't turn into soup! This is the easiest "gravy" you'll ever make!


Creamed Tomatoes over Biscuits



1 pint chopped tomatoes*
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup milk
salt
pepper
3 Tbsp butter

Put tomatoes and garlic into saucepan over medium heat. While tomatoes are simmering, whisk together 
flour and milk in a bowl. Add milk mixture to warm tomatoes. Bring to a low boil. Stir in butter, salt and pepper. Serve over rice, biscuits or buttered toast.

*I prefer tomatoes with onion. I can my own with spices and onion added, but you can also find them in most grocery stores.

2 comments: