Print This Recipe


Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, March 15, 2013

Maui Maid Teriyaki Marinade and my Teriyaki Crunchy Chicken

A couple of days ago, I received a sample bottle of Maui Maid Teriyaki Marinade. To say I was excited is an understatement! I love teriyaki and so does my son! We do teriyaki wings, teriyaki bacon wrapped chicken livers, teriyaki pork loin, teriyaki beef tenderloin... I think you get it. (I was beginning to feel like Bubba Gump! LOL) We love teriyaki! One problem that we have had is that our favorite sauce is sometimes hard to find. I was excited to try this sauce. 




After trying this one... I want more! The hubby started out with "Mmmm!" which changed to, "Oh WOW!" and finally, "OMGoodness! This is perfect! The perfect balance of sweet and salty!"

I made chicken two different ways. I made teriyaki pan seared nuggets, for my son, and teriyaki pan fried crunchy chicken cutlets, for the hubby. Here we go...



I marinated skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cut some up into nuggets. I let them marinate for a few hours. When the hubby got home with the breadcrumbs, I mixed up some breadcrumbs and flour. I didn't add any seasonings, not on purpose, but because my step-son came in with his daughter, Kendal. (((SQUIRREL!))) I'm easily distracted! AND thus no pictures of the coating process or frying! :-(



Ok... One picture of pan searing the nuggets that were coated in sauce. Be careful with the temperature when cooking teriyaki. The sugars can burn if the temps are to high, and that it not good!



I set up a dipping station with just two pans. (Sorry, no pics) I put the flour mixture in one and more marinade in the other. I dipped the breasts in the flour mixture, then in the marinade, and back in the flour mixture again. This gives the chicken a thick crust and the teriyaki helps the flour mixture really stick to the chicken. I fried them in the pan until golden brown, then I transferred them to a 350 degree oven so the marinade in the coating wouldn't burn. After a few minutes, I turned the oven to warm so the chicken wouldn't dry out.



I made a sauce reduction by making a little slurry of cornstarch and water. I added that to about 1/2 cup of the marinade and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar and some black pepper. I simmered it until it thickened a little.



I spooned a little over the fried chicken breast, and voila! Using the marinade as the liquid in the battering process is so awesome! What could be better than a crunchy teriyaki crust??? I had my step-son and his wife try it, and they loved it. As a matter of fact, my step-son said, "OMG Lynn! You are such an awesome cook!" Well shut the front door! That kid is hard to please so... 'nough said!

Surprisingly, (since the kids had eaten before they came over) I had some leftover, and the hubby says, "You're putting that up right?" I asked if he wanted more. He said, "Heck yeah! Tomorrow!"

Now... I want the spicy and the onion flavors!!! You can buy them from Maui Maid's Website and on Amazon. Click the link in the first of this blog and visit Maui Maid on Facebook. Be sure to tell her I sent you, and be sure to give her a like!







No comments:

Post a Comment